A negative PCR test is no longer required for vaccinated travelers to enter Tanzania. Please read the extract from the official Government notice.
The Government of the United Republic of Tanzania (URT) through Ministry responsible for Health (mainland) continues to enhance prevailing preventive measures against the spread of COVID-19 including those related to international travel. In view of this, the Government is updating the Travel Advisory No. 9 of 24th December 2021 to version No. 10, effective from 17th March, 2022 to accommodate measures as follows:
- All travelers including Tanzanians, returning residents and members of the crew (means persons on board a conveyance who are not passengers (source IHR, 2005 3rd Edition)) /layovers are required to truthfully fill in an online Traveler’s Health Surveillance Form available at https://afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz/ for Tanzania mainland.
- Travelers entering URT including Tanzanians, returning residents and those in transit through land borders who are;
a. Fully vaccinated, will be exempted from both RT PCR and Rapid Antigen Test requirements. Travelers will be required to present a valid vaccination certificate with a QR code for verification upon arrival. The only accepted vaccines are those which have been approved by the URT and the World Health Organization.
b. Not fully vaccinated, unvaccinated and those not eligible for vaccination due to their country policy will be required to present a negative COVID-19 RT- PCR or NAAT certificate with QR code obtained within 72 hours before departure. If travelers originate from countries listed at www.moh.go.tz or Points of Entry will be tested for COVID 19 upon arrival using a Rapid Antigen Test at their own cost of 10 USD (TZS 23,000) for Tanzania Mainland. If found positive they will be tested with RT- PCR for confirmation, allowed to self-isolate and the results will be sent via email or any other means.
c. Not fully vaccinated/unvaccinated and have no negative COVID 19 RT- PCR certificate will be dealt as follows;
i. In case of air transport and International marine vessels will be tested for COVID19 using RT PCR test at their own cost of 100 USD for Tanzania Mainland. Results will be sent to them while self-isolated.
ii. In case of International regional and inland vessels will be tested by Rapid Antigen Test at their own cost of 10 USD while positive will be further confirmed by RT- PCR at a cost of 50 USD for Tanzania Mainland.
iii. In case of ground crossing will be tested by Rapid Antigen Test at their own cost of 10 USD and if found positive will be handled according to Bilateral and Joint Border agreements.
d. Children aged 5 years and below will be exempted from both RT PCR and Rapid Antigen Tests requirements.
- Travelers to URT who are eligible for Rapid Antigen Test as in section 2b above are advised to pay online to avoid unnecessary queue upon arrival through an automatically generated control number obtained after filling the online Traveler’s Health Surveillance Form. For those to Tanzania Mainland pay through https://afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz. The symptomatic positive Rapid Antigen travelers will be isolated for treatment at designated health facilities as per National COVID-19 Treatment Guideline.
- Travelers in transit by air transport are exempted from both vaccination and COVID 19 testing requirements unless stated otherwise by the conveyance to be used or countries of their final destinations.
- All departing travelers are advised to seek information prior to departure from travel agent regarding COVID-19 requirements of their country of destination or conveyance to be used.
Read and download Tanzania Travel Advisory No.10 here